onsdag 23. april 2014

Why breaks are so good.

I´m at the library again, having a break after some hours of essay writing.  I´m chewing on a baguet with chicken salad, drinking some lukewarm water from a plastic cup, and having my always-present cup of coffee by my side. It feels nice. My brain is definitely on a break, I´m starting to space out and thinking about when I can go home.

Breaks are nice. I haven´t been here at the library studying for quite a while now. It´s been Easter break. After my exam I´ve needed a study break. It´s been a break from blogging and working out, and I´m sensing a need coming up the last days for a break from news, facebook and instagram. Not indefinitely. Just a break.

Breaks are great. Even from people you love some times. Even from good things. This pre-Easter our church had a gathering with the topic `fasting´ (as in not eating food). Over 30 people came! Even fasting can be one of those good breaks, letting go of food for a while.

I think breaks from almost anything are of the good. Because they help us realize what we have in our lives and makes us more thankful. They make us rethink our lifestyles and our perceptions. They make us stop up in our normally always-going busy lives and actually pause for a minute. That´s why I don´t like Sunday open malls and supermarkets (which must be a shocker to all Americans, who for for ever have been used to Wallmart open 24/7!) - because I like to have that one different day a week where I have a pause from what I usually do.

Even if breaks may be hard - not eating is hard - not being able to go to the store when you just really need that milk for your cereal is hard - not constantly being available on phone and social medias - resting instead of doing when there´s so much to get done - it´s hard, but at times I think - in the long run - it´s good things. Valuable things.


Well, but now I´m here again at the library finishing my baguet. The break is almost over and I´m about to start writing again!! A bit stressful to get into things again, but also fun! I´m reading and writing about old Confucius in ancient China and his views on life. Confucius lived in a setting where the great thinkers did exactly that for a job - think. They pondered the meaning of life and how life was best lived out in a community, and then some of them wrote it down or had their disciples do it.

From what I know and the look at pictures of him, I think good ol´ Confucius knew a thing or two about breaks...


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar