tirsdag 9. september 2014

Rockin´ Korea!

So I don´t even know how to start... How can I sum up what´s going on in my head right now in a blogpost?! It would take hours and days to explain my past, present and maybe even future when it comes to the nation of Korea.

So I´m not even gonna try to put my heart and mind into words. Maybe some other time. I´m just gonna say that I´m here and that it´s awesome. I´ve come for twelve days, partly to work at a school as an English teacher. Partly I´m here for the good food, I haven´t had real Kimchi in 14 years and it´s about time!! Also, it´s the perfect timing concerning weather. The superhot Korean summers are coming to an end, and it´s just nicely warm, sunny all day, pretty hot, could still wear a tank top at night. And there´s life on the streets at all hours. I love it! Bars and cafés are open until wee hours! 



I arrived in Korea Friday night, and because of jetlag I´ve woken up 6 o´clock in the morning. Already the park next to where I stay is buzzling with life. Old adjummas (elderly Korean women) sit and stretch out on a bench; some are on their early morning walk, men in all ages are busy working out and young Mom´s and Dad´s have brought their kids to play. I come here every morning. I walk by 7 Eleven to grab some coffee and fill water on my noodles, and sit down in the park with my Bible. Some times I go back to 7 Eleven for an ice cream. The weather is too perfect almost to not have one!
Below is a picture of the park last night (Monday) at 11 PM! Still full of life! Still full of people! I even saw families out on bike rides!



Looking at this chart over Korean letters (bokstaver) every once in a while; got a hold of some flash cards and am just trying to learn like a 5-year old! I already learnt most of the "alphabet" and some simple phrases on how to get by, but that was over 14 years ago, and I have to re-learn it. I can´t even compare this language to my experience with learning English, German or Spanish, all of it is backwards and so much more difficult. My goal for this trip is exactly this - read it like a 5-year old and know a few phrases to get by.


Not only Hawaii has amazing sunsets. Here Young Eun and I are hanging out in the city. We found the best bookstore (I love bookstores!) and also ended up at various cafés. On Saturday we´re doing some more looking around. It´s awesome getting to know Young Eun and having someone around that speaks English!!! I almost forgot how few people know English here, and the culture shock and frustration of not being able to communicate with people I meet is unreal!! I forgot how hard it is. I try to use my arms and body and facial expressions, but find myself often saying the same words or doing the same hand movements again and again, even though the other person doesn´t understand. How important communication is for living!!




Sorry, had to include a couple of pictures from the bathroom.... Just because it´s different. Just because Koreans don´t throw toilet paper in the toilet, but in a basket, and often has multi-tasket sinks, where you can wash your hands or shower, either or!




And just a few pictures of food in the end. `Cause you can´t talk about Korea without talking about food! Koreans eat together all the time, I don´t think I´ve met with them without us eating something. Whether it´s ramen noodles or squid (blekksprut), and the always amazing Kimchi (rotten cabage) (kål som har ligget lagret og krydra i månedsvis!) that goes with every meal here. It´s amazing!! Koreans sure know how to cook!


So maybe I will say something after all about why I´m here, or at least a few sentences about what makes Korea so important to me. I think I´m here because I´ve been lead to come. It´s like it has called my name for a long time, and I´m finally hearing it. Partly why it´s so important is my roots; this is where my ancestors came from, this is my blood and my past. Korea is somehow my past and my heritage and though I don´t remember anything, it still has impacted my life. 

...And now I´m here - again - and it is really good! 

It´s almost twelve at night here. That´s about a good time to take one last trip to 7 Eleven and have some late night snacks, sit in the park for a bit and then jump to bed...

2 kommentarer:

  1. I am so glad I am in a part of your story of Korea. We still have many other stories to make, right? :) We'll see what will happen!

    SvarSlett
  2. You are, Young Eun! It was so amazing to hang out with you, and I can´t wait to see you again!! There will be even better stories :-)

    SvarSlett