mandag 22. september 2014

Transitions...

Transitions transitions.... I guess life is full of them, huh?

Going from week-end to another Monday, from being young to being slightly older... through different time zones, being single and no responsibilities to having kids... a season of rest to a season of running around... moving house or changing job... lots of changes... loosing someone close to you... a new season of grief, different from a season filled with joy. Life is full of changes, full of transitions. I guess the only thing we can say for certain about life is that it will be full of changes...

Well I´m in the middle of several transitions right now, and in the middle of a lot of change. Moving away from Norway was huge, coming into a new world of new people to live with, from living in the cold alone in a spacious apartment to the heat in Hawaii with 5 other room mates, transferring from being a student to being a staff. Recently transitioning into a couple of weeks in Korea; teaching English some, singing and speaking in a church there, sharing about my life to the youth, experiencing a totally different culture and mindset and looking like everyone else, but acting totally different (sometimes I feel even more Norwegian when I´m outside my country! Does anyone else feel the same?!)

Now I´m back in Hawaii, full of jet lag, and my life is changing again. Moving into a condo is huge, and a lot of work, and not just the practical moving and getting all kinds of furniture in a system I´m just beginning to understand (I´ve never had to buy furniture or have stuff like that shipped to the island before!), but the paperwork!! It kills me!! Going to the bank, learning about that system is like learning a new profession! I told the clerk at the bank I could not believe all the rules and regulations and papers there were to have an account or just get money out! 

And the transition is also mental and emotional. I just said bye to over 70 amazing students that I have been walking with for 3 months, they were my friends here, who am I gonna hang out with now? I´m gonna miss my weekly talks with some of them, Jordan coming to my room eating my food, hanging out in room 204 all the time and just seeing everyone in class break every day! 

Now they are all gone, the base is empty, but waiting for over 600 new students to arrive on Thursday. It´s gonna be packed with unfamiliar faces and people in schools I´m not involved in. Who will be my friends in this season? Who will I be able to help now? What is gonna be the theme for this season in my life? Is it a time of rest or hard work?

In all these transitions, in all these different seasons, with change around every corner and emotions going up and down, I´m glad that I have something constant. I have Jesus. He is always the same. Today hanging out in the prayer room, feeling a bit out of it, thinking about all the things I´ve gone through and all the uncertainty I´m faced with, I was suddenly reminded of this. That I´m not alone. And that I have someone that doesn´t change!


Jordan, I´m gonna miss you! I love that you always come to my room!! I´ve loved getting to know you and being a part of these wild three months of your life!




Cruizing in the back of Kari and Cam´s truck! Just another afternoon in Hawaii, wind in my hair, squeezed in between surfboards and other equipment!


An apartment of my own!! With two great room mates! That´s a transition that I can like! Luckily Sam here is a lot more handy than I am, so she´s becoming the `handygirl´ of our home! She put together bar stools, tables and shelves and sections. It´s starting to look like a home - almost. "Now we just need some decorative stuff," she says. Well, one step at a time. We´ll get there!

This girl also makes my life more stable. Opal and her family is a haven I always can come and visit. So whether I´m going in the truck with Kari, looking for treasure with Opal or watching shows on TV with Joey, I know I´m always welcome here!


Another change in this transition is my mailing address. The one I put out before will be able to receive mail for another month, but as of now - this is the mailing address I will use!! Would love to hear from you all through mail!! (And it´s my Birthday in November, haha!)

Renate Solberg
75-5863 Kuakini hwy. APT 226
Kailua-Kona
HI 96740
USA

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar